Sunday, April 4, 2010
Spring Color & Paths
This evening after work I spread Sphagnum in the rest of the beds and turned what I am calling bed #2 or the tomato and pepper bed. Jeff worked on the edging and the pathways getting one whole row done. We are putting 18" pavers down the center and a brick edging. We are hoping the pavers will help keep weeds down and the brick will help keep the soil off the pathways. As a bonus it looks nice too :)
Yesterday the rest of the alpaca was deposited into the new raspberry bed as well as a healthy dose of Sphagnum peat moss and was all turned. We ordered Autumn Britten (red) and Bristol (black) from Nourse Farms in MA. Just beautiful plants! We got bare root crowns 5/$11 or so plus shipping and the roots systems on these things where about 18" long and they are beginning to leaf out. We actually received 6 of one and 7 of the other so thank you very much Nourse Farms for the extra plants!
We also got 25 strawberry crowns, Annapolis. Only 13 fit in the new space so I have 12 more to find homes for or stuff in somewhere else.
I got Amelia and Noah their annual pack of Pansies and they did a great job digging the holes to plant them. Amelia did most of hers by herself and Noah needed redirection away from the worm and back to the plants but he kept insisting on "I do it" and tried hard.
We also managed to get the 20 Borrettana Onions, Russian Banana & Desiree potatoes, red & yellow shallots, Silver rose garlic and some radish seed all in bed #1 or the root crop bed.
I just couldn't squeeze in the broccoli rabbi or broccoli tonight. Maybe tomorrow morning before work if I get up early enough...probably not.